Starting a New Job
A job change may be a good opportunity to reevaluate up your financial plans.
If you are considering making a career switch, it’s important to spend some time evaluating how this change could impact your finances.
If you are moving on and moving up in your career:
- Set savings goals and spending limits that your new salary can accommodate
- Enroll in your new employer’s retirement savings plan
- Rollover retirement funds
- Enroll in your new employer’s health insurance plan
- Transfer HSA and FSA funds
- Don’t forget to set up direct deposit
If you are planning to leave your current employer without another job lined up or are reducing your hours:
- Make sure you have an emergency fund in place so that you are prepared to cover at least 6 months of expenses
- Examine your monthly expenses closely and cut out costs where possible
- Ensure you have a plan in place to avoid gaps in health insurance coverage
- Put a plan in place to protect your retirement savings